Thursday, April 11, 2013

Family Graves

My great-aunt was able to scan and email me a photo of my great-great-great-great-grandparents graves, which she took while visiting Brookfield, Vermont, where they got married. During this trip, my great-aunt apparently also visited Randolph, Vermont, where a number of my other ancestors used to live. This photo was very special and important to me because it shows the grave of the ancestor after whom I am named. Somehow, just having a picture of her burial place makes me feel closer to her and as if I know more about her, even though there are many things I don't know, like what she was like, her hobbies, the way she grew up, and so much more. Only my middle name comes from this relative (it's her maiden name), because my mother thought it would be a bit too much to give me my whole name after her, since she lived so long ago and no one in our family knows very much about her. However, even just sharing my middle name with her maiden name makes me feel as though we have some sort of connection to each other. Although I'm not sure how to learn more about who this great-great-great-great-grandmother was as a person, I would like to try. I think that's where this project will go after this class is over; I'd like to work on finding out more about this relative and her life.

The photo my great-aunt sent me will be revealed during my final presentation. So don't expect to see it on this blog, you'll have to wait!

On another note, my great-aunt has been so kind and helpful in her responses. I am immensely impressed with and grateful for her. Since she was my (late) grandmother's sister, I think she must be very old now - probably over 90 years old! Thus, I am very impressed that she knows how to use a computer so well; she even has a Facebook! I am so glad that this project has allowed me to connect and speak with her, even though we have never met in person. She has been a huge help with this project, and I hope that our relationship will continue after this class is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment